Monday, April 11, 2011

13.1

My half-marathon was a few weeks ago but I wanted to share with everyone a few pictures and some of my favorite parts:)
 My little brother and I about to start


Had a beautiful view of the ocean for part of the run


Feelin good!


Yay I did it!! 2:04:51
 Huggin my mama:)


We did it!  Very proud of my bro!


My mom came out to cheer us on and walk the 5k


My crazy awesome husband crazy loves me

My awesome friends made the BEST poster!!

I was kinda surprised how much fun I had running the half!  The beginning was a little rough.  At mile 3 I was thinking there was no way I was gonna make it.  I was tired and questioning why I decided to do this in the first place.  And then I remembered this was all Keith's idea and I began cursing him in my head.  Then I felt bad because he was running too and probably needed me to pray for him, not hate him for making me do this:/  And lets talk about how annoying these speed demon runners are.  They were passing me like I was the slowest person to ever attempt to run.  I mean who are these people?!  Didn't they know they were messing with me head?  I kept thinking  "Apparently I'm barely moving.  But I'm tired and this hurts.  How am I gonna finish this damn thing....ugh damn Keith, this is all his fault!!....I mean God be with Keith and give him strength.....And I could really use some strength too...."

But somewhere around mile 6 I was having the time of my life!  I think it was a combination of working out all the kinks in my body, getting out on my own and finally starting to pass some people myself, and listening to some really good music on my ipod.  I had switched all the music on my ipod to worship songs and they worked great to pump me up and keep me moving and keep me praying.  I can't remember everything I was thinking while I was running.  There were miles that I must have mentally blacked out because I don't remember anything.  I sort of compare it to dance marathon.  32 hours of staying on your feet with no sleep.  I definitely forgot hours of my life there.  But what I do remember was surprisingly a lot of fun:) 

Here were some of my favorite parts of the half:
  • Running with my little bro:)
  • My crazy incredible awesome husband being the best cheerleader I could ask for
  • My Mama coming to cheer us on and walk her own 5k too:)
  • Alyssa (Keith's kick ass wife) and her brother, Alan being awesome cheerleaders and dealing with my craziness before the half-marathon
  • Miles 6-10.5 were awesome.  I felt great and had a great pace!  
  • Tyler, Alyssa and Alan moved around to cheer us on at different parts of the race.  It meant so much to see them cheering and holding posters for us!
  • When I looped back I got to pass Keith and give him a high five.  It was great to see how well he was doing and it was just encouraging to know he was doing this with me.  (looking for him for almost a mile also gave me something to do to stay distracted from my sore toes:) 
  • Mile 12 Tyler caught up to me on his skateboard.  At that point I couldn't tell if I was still moving so it was so great to have him next to me to talk to.  He stayed with me till mile 13 and then went up to the finish line to cheer me on there.  Man I'm crazy lucky to have him.
  • Crossing that finish line!!
  • The "Katie Potter" poster!!  Amazing!!  Thank you Elysa, Ryan, Dan, Melissa and Rene!!!  I laughed every time Tyler held it up for me:)
  • Watching Keith cross the finish line.  I'm such a proud sister!
  • Getting so many encouraging messages from friends and family
  • Spending some much needed time focusing on God and not myself.  Switching to worship music on my ipod was the best thing I could have done.  
  • Destroying  CiCi's pizza buffet after the race.  Ate a whole large pizza and then some:)  They never saw us coming....

The worst part you ask?   My bruised and bloody toe nails and blisters the size of Texas.  My feet may never be the same.  But it was worth it and I can't wait to do it again!! 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks sis! As I described it to a friend, it was the most fun I never want to have again, hahaha. SOOOO glad we did it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one proud mama! Loved being there to cheer you on. Cheering on my kids is one of my favorite mama activities.

    ReplyDelete