Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thank you!!

Thank you to everyone for all your words of encouragement!  We feel very blessed to have so many people praying for us and supporting us through this process.  Especially because some of the responses I've gotten haven't always been encouraging. I don't think people mean to be unsupportive.  I think they're just surprised that we are choosing to adopt and don't know what to say.  And that's okay.  Seriously.  I know this is something new to most people.  I really am happy to share and answer questions as best I can.  But it can be frustrating.  I can tell the difference when I tell someone we're adopting and they're genuinely excited and when they think it's weird.  There's a look in their eyes that's easily recognizable.  I try not to let it bother me but it does sting a little.  If I was telling someone I was pregnant there would be no look of hesitation and questioning.  And let me go ahead and answer the most common question:  We do not struggle with infertility and we do plan on having biological children as well.  I would like to get pregnant at least once simply because I would like to have that experience but we also plan to adopt multiple times.  I have wanted to adopt since I can remember and those of you who know me well have probably heard me talking about it for years.  There are so many children who need a home and I hope Tyler and I can provide a good one.  My prayer is that through our experience more people would consider adoption when growing their family. 

And if I could ask a favor/give some advice......if someone tells you they're adopting please do not tell them all the different horror stories you've heard or about your friend who has had failed adoptions or a bad experience.  It is not helpful:)  If I were pregnant would you run through all the people you know who have had miscarriages or how common they are?  I'd hope not!  We are not naive.  We know the risks and we know that we will probably go through at least one failed adoption before we bring our baby home (according to the books they're very common)  But we know God will bring us our baby when it's the baby He wants for us and according to His timing.  We know this can be an emotional and difficult journey.  We have control over nothing and that's terrifying!  But we are trusting God to lead us the whole way and He never disappoints. 

4 comments:

  1. Katie - I think what y'all are doing is so beautiful - I just don't have words to describe it! I'm proud to have you as my niece/nephew in laws (I think its a new term - just made it up)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you sweetie and I am so excited about being a grandma!!! I have been telling all my friends that you are in your first trimester of adoption!!! This will be a great year...wedding and baby. God is so very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie!
    I am so excited for you and will be praying for you and Tyler. Our friends at church recently completed a domestic adoption, he is about 6 months old now and is just the cutest little boy. Thought I'd share their blog they have: http://www.warrenandangie.net . They didn't start it as early in the process as you, which I think is so neat to share your whole experience with others! Just thought it might be nice to see someone else's. They are the sweetest couple too, I'm sure if you wanted to ask them anything I could give you their email.
    -Delia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie (and Tyler)!!!
    I am so, so, so happy for you two! Love everything about this. I was Facebook stalking from Guatemala and ran across your blog, so now I am blog stalking I guess. I remember us talking about adopting back in Lesotho and am so happy one of us is ready for that adventure. I wish you two nothing but joy and know that you'll get through the challenging parts with those big smiles and all the love you have to offer.

    Can't wait to see pics of your chocolate drop one day! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete